Thursday, April 22, 2010

Rainbow's Promise

     Within a two or three day period I heard Israel "Iz" Kaʻanoʻi Kamakawiwoʻole's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" four different times in several different ways.  I had never heard it before (the Judy Garland version was the only version I was familiar with).  I knew it was a message.  I think that it is extraordinary, a hauntingly beautiful song as performed by Iz (who seemed to have a beautiful heart and soul).  I found this YouTube video of him performing the song online when wanting to find out more about the artist - please check it out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I (you can read the Wikipedia article on Iz at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Kamakawiwo%27ole).  I wrote this poem thinking about this song.

Rainbow’s Promise


A rainbow’s arc of spectral light,
What a glorious sight,
Seven colors to be seen,
Orange, yellow, and a lovely green,
Indigo, violet, red and blue,
Radiating with brilliant hues.

Flying through the rainbow,
That’s where I want to go,
Following songbirds and happy dreams,
To new heights yet unseen,
No more dark clouds or dreary skies,
Only light and lullabies.

Our teardrops will be gone,
When we go far beyond,
The proverbial pot of gold,
Will be ours to hold,
Among the stars in a dream come true,
Where everything is bright and new.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Claire,

This is such a beautiful poem. It just goes to show that when you feel passionate about something, it echoes for far beyond any expected reach. I can't wait to order your book. If this is any example of your talents and heartfelt expressions, then I'm in for a remarkable surprise. I'm so glad that we have connected.

Post a Comment