Thursday, June 3, 2010

No Right or Wrong

There are no shortcuts when in grief,
The wound is much too deep,
Like learning to live without a limb,
You somehow manage to go on,
But you are always aware of what is gone.

There is no right or wrong way in mourning,
Emotions often give no warning,
You can be functioning normally,
The next minute sobbing uncontrollably.

If you just want to go to bed, go ahead,
If you want to eat ice cream,
Feel free, by all means,
Don't let people tell you what to do,
They can only imagine what you're going through.

And if they knew the reality,
They would be on their knees,
For me, there is no greater pain,
Than knowing I won't see my son again,
No longer able to give him my love and care,
Is almost more than I can bear.

Somehow the days go by,
And I can only try,
To slowly build my life anew,
Without the physical presence of you.

I know the body is not the whole,
I just miss you so,
If I could have but one wish,
It would be to have you here to hug and kiss.

Despite the anguish now a part of me,
For the dreams we will not see,
I am grateful for the years,
You enriched our lives while you were here.

I wouldn't trade a single day,
For nothing will ever outweigh,
The unconditional love we knew,
For every moment we had with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment