Sunday, September 14, 2014

A Family Heritage Sign

The men in my husband's family have a tradition of carrying a coin in their pocket. I would like to share this meaningful experience from last night and why it's such a significant sign for us.

My husband's maternal grandfather always carried a silver dollar in his pants pocket. He passed a few months before my husband was born. The 1922 "Peace" dollar in the picture with this post is the last one he carried. When my husband graduated from high school his maternal grandmother gave him a 1964 silver Kennedy half dollar in a key chain holder as a gift. Ever since then my husband has always carried a 1964 Kennedy half dollar in his pocket. When this coin was lost he replaced it from the coin collection he inherited from his dad with another 1964 silver Kennedy half dollar. My father-in-law always carried a silver dollar in his pants pocket, the 1885 "Morgan" dollar in the picture. After my husband's father died my husband took our son to a coin shop in the town where my father-in-law lived and bought him a commemorative "Standing Liberty" silver dollar coin, the 1993 coin shown in the picture, which was based on the old "Standing Liberty" half dollar. Later, my husband found the 1942 "Standing Liberty" half dollar in the picture in his dad's coin collection and gave it to Graham so he would have a coin he could carry in his pocket as a substitute for the collectible dollar coin. Graham always carried it in his pants pocket. A family tradition honored. When Graham passed it was in his jeans pocket. I keep it in a special box that was his.





Last night my husband and I were with my parents, three of my brothers, and my daughter and her family for a special family get together and celebration. At some point my dad went out and picked up his mail. When he was opening up the mail there was a solicitation that included a half dollar! I knew that was Graham letting us know that he was with his family too. I was amazed at the personal significance of this. It brings tears just writing about it. Notice the little miracles and gifts we are given. Love is the greatest gift of all. It transcends space and time. I am so very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment